Tuesday, June 19, 2012

Adventures at REI


I am not a hiking expert by any means. Yet, I've done a few things that the normal person hasn't done such as ROTC training weekends and winter camping trips in negative 25 degree weather that warrant recognition for being challenging. However, as soon as I walked into REI for the first time yesterday, yes, my first time, I realized that I didn't know anything. Nada. Zip. Because not only had I never been to an REI before, I didn't know the stores existed. For the past year I have spent hours upon hours on their website but visiting different stores like Bass Pro Shop or Academy Sports. Mistake. I should have been seeking out the nearest REI store. But how was I suppose to know? No one tells me these things.. No big deal though, because by the end of my trip to REI I knew enough. I'm buying all of my gear from their store!!


REI has all the things I have been wanting to check out for months such as: Osprey's Aura Backpack, Hennessy's Ultralite Hammock, MSR's Pocket Rocket, and Sawyer's Squeeze Filter just to name a few. Discovering that I can purchase a majority of my gear at one store is very comforting and relaxing. Is there a big smile on my face? Yup.


Needless to say, I spent quite some time in the store. Not because things were hard to find though. The store was laid out so neatly that I found all the items I was looking for in a manner of minutes. Time was spent looking at all the options available for every item on my list. So yes, you guessed it, I tried on almost every backpack on their display wall. Picking out items that you will rely on to sustain your life for six months is a huge undertaking. But I am so pumped and ready!! (If you couldn't tell by now).

















No comments:

Post a Comment