Monday, June 25, 2012

AT Tattoo Design

Recently, I would say within the last year, I have finally come around to the idea of getting a tattoo.  I think, if done right, they can be a great way to express yourself. So now I really want a tattoo but have had a problem figuring out what to get.  I envy those that are able to commit to something so permanent so quickly or effortlessly.  Fortunately I am confident that I have found something that I feel passionately enough about to ink on my skin forever...and that is of course something that represents the Appalachian Trail.  However, I am not going to get it until after I finish the hike.  I mean if for some reason I don't finish the trail, explaining that tattoo would be awk-ward.  Certainly that doesn't mean I can't do some research and plan it out in the meantime.  Because... I already did.

Here are some tattoos that I think are GREAT but I wouldn't want all aspects of their design for myself.
  




I really love the map idea. Having the entire trail appeals to me not only because it is bad ass but also because I am a sucker for simple outlined designs, especially state oulines. But if I am going to be honest, that is way too big, at least for my first tattoo.  I especially love the placement of the leg tattoo; it looks awesome.  Too bad I'm not into leg tattoos for myself because for such a big tattoo that is a good place.
 

Moving on, I think this AT "patch" design is nice as well.  It seems to include many of the aspects of the outdoors such as: mountains, fire, sky, trees, etc but with a more compact design.  This is getting closer to what I would want but is slightly too colorful and busy. 


Alright now for some tattoo designs that I would actually consider getting or taking ideas from.


 For anyone that knows me, it is common knowledge that I love trees.  How could anyone not love trees? 1. They create tons of oxygen for the environment. Humans sort of need that to live. 2. They are great for climbing. Duh. 3. You can sit underneath them. 4. Need I say anymore?  So you can image that one of the common tattoo topics that comes up for me is some sort of tree tattoo. Therefore it is no surprise that when I saw this AT tree tattoo I was upset immediately.  Not only did this person have one tattoo that I want but two and I didn't think of it first. Bummer.  Why can't I be that creative?


I am aiming for a simple and small design just like the tattoo above.  Not only that but the tattoo is placed on the edge of the foot which is the one spot I have been seriously considering. Including the date is also another nice touch that I am pretty sure will be included in my design.



 Similar to the previous tattoo this one is very simple and probably my my top pick of what I found in my research.  It includes three simple aspects: the AT logo, a white blaze and the outline of a hiking boot. Perfect. Again..wish I had thought of it before I saw it.


I tried my hand at creating a few designs and they were not impressive. I will definitely ponder this more over the next year but I figure why not get some input from more creative people than myself.  Therefore, if you feel like you have ideas, comments or want to send me a tattoo design just direct them to my email address courtncj@gmail.com.




No comments:

Post a Comment