Wednesday, June 20, 2012

Want to learn more about the AT?


Here are some resources that really show off the beauty and community of the AT.


If you have Netflix... you should check out the National Geographic Special on the Appalachian Trail. It is not extremely informative but it does show some splendid aerial views of the trail. There is also another movie that is kinda fun called Southbounders. Southbounders is a dramatic film rather than a documentary. It is also more of an indie film so if you aren't use to that you may not like it. However, I say be adventurous and watch it!


Another option is to watch one or all of these videos made by former thru hikers. You get to see the beautiful views they saw through 14 gorgeous states.








And I will add this video that was recommended by the very funny Good Badger:


If you are more of a reader then you should consider reading Appalachian Trials, AWOL on the Appalachian Trail, or A walk in the woods. All three books shed light on what it is like to hike the trail in different ways.  

For an in depth look at the everyday life I would suggest reading AWOL's book.  For a humorous approach, definitely read A walk in the woods first. Last but not least is the Good Badger's book Appalachian Trials which is really aimed at a hiker more serious about trying to attemp the trail.  It focuses on the emotional aspect and how to prepare yourself for success.


2 comments:

  1. Thanks for the props Courtney. I'm glad you got value out of Appalachian Trials.

    And a forewarning: I will be living vicariously through your journey, so it is your duty to enjoy it as much as possible, for *my* sake.

    I will add my favorite AT-related video (I don't know this guy, but am quite confident he would be my best friend in life): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OnFMQ2NAgyk

    Keep blogging. And way to keep your promise to yourself. You will serve as an inspiration to all those that surround you.

    Best,
    Zach

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the warning. Now when I get a lot of page hits I won't think I'm popular I will just know you have been keeping tabs. :P

      Speaking of frequent viewage... I have watched the video you so generously recommended at least once a day ever since. There is so much awesomeness I can't help myself.

      Thank you for responding so quickly and I shall do my best to enjoy as much as I can, just for the good badger.

      All the best,
      Courtney

      Delete